[squid-users] Should "Proxy-Connection: close" tear down TCP connection

From: Schuster, Dan <dan.schuster@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 16:34:50 -0600

When Squid sends a Proxy-Connection: close header back to a client should it
also be closing the TCP connection? I have an instance where Squid-2.4S7
forwards a 302 redirect back to the client with the Proxy-Connection: close
but doesn't shut down the TCP connection for another 15 minutes.

There is no Content-Length header in the 302 redirect received from the web
server, and in turn there is no Content-Length header that is passed to the
client. I would normally say that the tcp connection SHOULD remain open
because the web server never closed it and did NOT send a Content-Length
header, but since Squid sent a Proxy-Connection: close header is it now
responsible for promptly closing the TCP connection?

Thanks,
-Dan

Client IE6 Sends:
 GET http://site