Re: [squid-users] Fw: Squid and load splitting.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 22:59:12 +0100 (CET)

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004, Gregory Machin wrote:

> I want to be able to setup squid so that once the 3gig limit is reached
> (sites timeout) all traffic for internatinal sites is passed through the
> diginet line. Both lines currently have there own squid proxy servers.

Hmm.. this can not be done automatically by Squid without noticeable
impact to the users. You need something external to Squid montioring the
link availability and takes appropriate actions.

What you can do in Squid is to set it up to use a non-ICP parent proxy for
the diginet line in combination with "prefer_direct on" and a short
connect_timeout. This will make Squid automatically fall back to the
diginet line if it fails connect to the requested server in a reasonable
timeframe. But this timeout is applied on each request so once the quota
is reached browsing will be very sluggish (much more than it need be).