[squid-users] complete newbie

From: <backdraught@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2004 15:18:11 +0000

Hello Squid users,

Is it possible someone can point me in the right direction? I have just
installed Redhat9 which has squid installed as a componant. It seems to be
installed in /etc/squid (certainly this is where the squid.conf file is
located).

In all the faq's I have searched through it would seem it is normally installed
in /usr/local/squid/etc. This itself has thrown me. Have I missed a step I am
asuming because it is bundled software I dont need to compile it?!

So my next assumtion was that I would need to modify the squid.conf file. This
seems fairly strait forward with a little help from the FAQ's however There are
a few questions I have either found the answer to and dont really comprehend or
haven't been able to find.

Firstly I have configured the ports for incomming requests from my workstations
and I am happy with that and because the Local education authority run a
filtering proxy service i am aware i need to set a parent proxy and the port to
connect to it. this is where my problem lies, If i set it as a parent proxy and
set the port for Squid to connect to it all well and good, but what happens with
the returned traffic from the parent I assume it will come back on the same port
I connect to the parent on, however, I dont have a clue as to where in the
squid.conf this should be configured.

I would be much obliged if someone could help me I have already made one
fruitless trip to the friendly computer supermarket who fail to stock any books
on squid. So I will have to try and dig out my old redhat bible.

Thanks for your time

Adam