Re: [squid-users] complete newbie

From: Dodjie Nava <dpnava@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 09:39:51 +0800

backdraught@ntlworld.com wrote:

>Hello Squid users,
>
>Is it possible someone can point me in the right direction? I have just
>installed Redhat9 which has squid installed as a componant. It seems to be
>installed in /etc/squid (certainly this is where the squid.conf file is
>located).

this is the normal location for squid.conf using redhat's rpm. the squid
binary is located at /usr/sbin/squid

>In all the faq's I have searched through it would seem it is normally installed
>in /usr/local/squid/etc. This itself has thrown me. Have I missed a step I am
>asuming because it is bundled software I dont need to compile it?!

it will be installed in /usr/local/squid/etc if you compile squid using
the source tarball.

>So my next assumtion was that I would need to modify the squid.conf file. This
>seems fairly strait forward with a little help from the FAQ's however There are
>a few questions I have either found the answer to and dont really comprehend or
>haven't been able to find.
>

>Firstly I have configured the ports for incomming requests from my workstations
>and I am happy with that and because the Local education authority run a
>filtering proxy service i am aware i need to set a parent proxy and the port to
>connect to it. this is where my problem lies, If i set it as a parent proxy and
>set the port for Squid to connect to it all well and good, but what happens with
>the returned traffic from the parent I assume it will come back on the same port
>I connect to the parent on, however, I dont have a clue as to where in the
>

>squid.conf this should be configured.

for parent - sibling proxies, you have to configure "cache_peer" in
/etc/squid.conf

>I would be much obliged if someone could help me I have already made one
>fruitless trip to the friendly computer supermarket who fail to stock any books
>on squid. So I will have to try and dig out my old redhat bible.
>
>Thanks for your time
>
>Adam

>Email provided by http://www.ntlhome.com/

a combination of the comments at /etc/squid.conf & the squid faq will be
sufficient enough. however, if you really need a book about squid, i
would suggest the book of duane wessels (squid: the definitive guide).
 maybe you can coordinate with him on how to get a copy.

hope this helps.

--
Dodjie Nava <dpnava@mozcom.com>
Systems Engineer