[squid-users] Squid Java Applet Authentication Request

From: Burnes, James <james.burnes@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2004 15:03:04 -0700

Anyone,

Perhaps I just didn't see this feature in the Squid docs, but does Squid
by default try to launch an authentication dialog when it see's Java
applet content in the stream?

I was on Standard Networks website and they are apparently using Java
applets. I waited for the applet to start, but I could have sworn that
Squid popped up an authentication dialog in Java so I could have access
to the applet.

I didn't type anything into it because I didn't know whether it was
legit.

If it's real, that's a cool feature and I wonder how easy it would be to
only give certain user groups java applet access. You might want to put
a Squid icon on the dialog stamped with the IP of the squid server
itself so that it's not used as a man-in-the-middle attack.

Thx,

jim burnes
security engineer
great-west, denver