Re: [squid-users] fqdncache

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 16:19:08 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 SMORRIS@UP.COM wrote:

> The default fqdncache is 1024. Is this low?

Depends.

How many clients do you have? And are you really using the fqdncache?
(only used if you use srcdomain acls or have log_fqdn enabled)

Maybe your question is actually about ipcache? In such case, how many
unique server names are your users accessing per day?

And for both: How good connectivity do you have to your DNS server? If
good then these parameters are not really important as long as they are
not very small as the DNS server also caches DNS data.

> Along the same lines, is there a URL for a good document on tuning Squid
> after it is up and running? Not the basic configuration, but what people
> have found is a tried and true "optimal" configuration based on horsepower
> of the box on which it's running?

Not that I know of. It is not really that much tuning to Squid except for
using a async cache_dir type (aufs or cache_dir). The important part is
tuning of the OS to give the best quality horse powers to Squid, and most
important of all to make sure there is sufficient amount of memory for
your configuration.