Fwd: [squid-users] cache dns lookup with transparent squid

From: <mortbox@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:50:47 -0500

i've asked to be removed countless times. here's another message that
i didn't want. it's really not that hard to remove somebody is it...

This is a forwarded message
From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@squid-cache.org>
To: sword <tech@glc.cn.net>
Date: Friday, January 30, 2004, 6:11:50 AM
Subject: [squid-users] cache dns lookup with transparent squid

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, sword wrote:

> hi,I want to cahce dns lookup with squid,and from squid homepage I konw
> suiqd can do it . but I think squid cache dns lookup only when squid
> configured as a no-transparent cache.

It still caches DNS lookups for it's own use, but when transparently
intercepting the client requests the clients will also make a DNS lookup
before initiating the request, as required for the client to be able to
connect to the requested server.

If you do not want the client to perform DNS lookups then the client MUST
be configured to use the proxy.

> If squid is configured as a transparent cache,client browser will send
> dns request to dns server directly ,After it recieved the reply of the
> dns request, It send http request which could be hijacked by the squid.

Correct.

Best regards,
 mortbox                            mailto:mortbox@gamebox.net