Fwd: [squid-users] client based upload&download restriction

From: <mortbox@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 20:50:26 -0500

i've asked to be removed countless times. here's another message that
i didn't want. it's really not that hard to remove somebody is it...

This is a forwarded message
From: jose b. chua <jose@njneuromed.org>
To: squid-users@squid-cache.org
Date: Thursday, January 29, 2004, 11:00:09 AM
Subject: [squid-users] client based upload&download restriction

> From: Salim Engin [mailto:sengin@datagrup.com.tr]
>
> I want a client to access web sites but not to
> download&upload any files
> from/to the web using web browser. If I make Squid not to use 21 port
> number, users can download files from 80 port. Does Squid do
> what I want?

Web browsing is performed using the HTTP protocol. A web browser does this
by sending (uploading) requests to port 80 and receiving (downloading) the
web pages through port 80. If you block port 80, you block web browsing. A
user must upload and download through port 80 to browse the web. There is no
way around that.

Port 21 is the FTP protocol, and blocking that would prevent only FTP
access.

Are you trying to prevent large file downloads (files that are not web
pages)? If so, you can block any MIME type that is not HTML, JPG, GIF, or
PNG graphics. Optionally, plug-in content such as Flash and Director movies,
Quicktime movies, and anything else users need could also be allowed.

Best regards,
 mortbox                            mailto:mortbox@gamebox.net