Re: [squid-users] Hotmail and other Ports

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 12:10:38 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Simon Walters wrote:
>
> > So, there is no way of going on sites like hotmail, and things like
> > that? What's the CONNECT method? Isn't there any way I can specify which
> > ports the network can access?
>
> For proxying of non-HTTP protocols such as IMAP/POP/SMTP/IRC/whatever you
> need a SOCKS proxy in addition to Squid.

Reading your question again. For webmail services using your browser (or
outlook client configured for webmail) HTTP is used, not
IMAP/POP/SMTP/etc..

If you have problems accessing such services then make sure your browser
and/or email client is configured to use the proxy.

If there is still problems, please tell us a little more about your setup
and what errors you receive. Also check your cache.log for any strange
messages. Note: If you are inside a firewall requiring the use of a parent
proxy then see the Squid FAQ for proper Squid configuraion.