Re: [squid-users] Hotmail and other Ports

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 10:58:37 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004, Simon Walters wrote:

> So, there is no way of going on sites like hotmail, and things like
> that? What's the CONNECT method? Isn't there any way I can specify which
> ports the network can access?

For proxying of non-HTTP protocols such as IMAP/POP/SMTP/IRC/whatever you
need a SOCKS proxy in addition to Squid.

If you want generic Internet access without needing to have proxy support
in each and every client program used then you need to configure NAT on
your network unless the clients can reach the Internet directly.

Installing Squid does not change how these services are accessed. If it
did not work before you installed Squid then installing Squid will not
help as the traffic is not related to Squid. If it stopped working when
you installed Squid then you did something seriously wrong.

How to do this is a firewalling question, not a Squid question. Squid is a
HTTP proxy, not a firewall. Squid is often found as one of many components
in firewalls however but that still does not make Squid a firewall.

Using CONNECT for these services is plain abuse of the HTTP proxy and will
not be encouraged. In addition not many client programs support such abuse
of HTTP proxies so it does not really solve the problem.