Re: [squid-users] cache_dir L1 L2 question

From: Duane Wessels <wessels@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 17:55:03 -0700 (MST)

On Sat, 14 Feb 2004, OTR Comm wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a 80GB drive on a system that I would like to dedicate to a squid
> server. The notes in squid.conf say that I should subtract 20% and use
> that number for the Mbytes field for cache_dir. So I would have 64000.

You should do that to start with. After Squid has been running with
a full cache you can think about increasing the cache size.

> The question is, what is a reasonable L1 and L2 to put for this setting?

I'm not sure it matters much. You can use 16/256 (the default) or
try 32/512 if you want.

> Also, I don't understand the different storage types, (ufs, aufs, diskd,
> etc), but for the system I want to set up, would either one be
> preffered?

Depends on your operating system and expected load. I advise that
you stick with UFS (the default) for now and try one of the
others if you suspect that performance is suffering due to disk
I/O bottlenecks.

Also, please read: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/squid/chapter/index.html

Duane W.