Re: [squid-users] Access.log

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 09:58:04 +0100 (CET)

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004, Brian Bennett wrote:

> Everything I find refers to using winbind to access an NT PDC, well I dont
> need to get at another PDC, both squid and SAMBA PDC are on the same box.
> Is there not an easy way to get squid to get the currently logged on
> machine\user from an IP address from samba? (this would be ideal).

winbind?

> I have tried setting up winbind, but it does not work for me, wbinfo -a
> with user and password fails. If I have to go this route, is there a
> trick to setting this up when there is NO NT BOX involved.

Should work just fine with a Samba PDC, just as it works with a NT PDC.

> Like I said, I think winbind is overkill in this scenario, as I dont'
> care about authing against NT.

winbind is not about NT but about having integration with a Windows PDC
including a Samba based PDC to provide automatic login to the proxy if the
user is using a Windows box and logged on to the domain.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated, as these squid logs aren't of much
> help with dhcp ip addresses in them.

If your DHCP server supports dynamic DNS you could have it automatically
register the machine names in DNS when it gives out IP addresses. Maybe
this will help?