[squid-users] squid peer ID and Forwarding loop detected warnings

From: Peter Smith <peter.smith@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:31:48 -0600

I have 4 load-balanced Round-Robin DNS'd squid caches. From time to
time I have to IP alias one of the squids onto another squid (let's say
the hardware is aging and it goes offline.) The problem is that when
one or more peer IPs exist on a particular squid machine while its conf
defines one of those IPs as a cache peer (until I get in and change it
manually,) I start to get "WARNING: Forwarding loop detected" warnings.
It seems that if squid had some sort of "peer ID" that it would be able
to tell that one of its peers is in fact itself this problem could be
avoided. I don't believe this functionality exists currently, but I
don't doubt the possibility that it could exist in patches somewhere.
Can anyone help?

Peter Smith