Re: [squid-users] squid peer ID and Forwarding loop detected warnings

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 00:47:59 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 27 Feb 2004, Peter Smith wrote:

> manually,) I start to get "WARNING: Forwarding loop detected" warnings.
> It seems that if squid had some sort of "peer ID" that it would be able
> to tell that one of its peers is in fact itself this problem could be
> avoided.

It only works the other way. When a request is forwarded by a Squid it
adds it's ID to the Via header. If it sees a request which according to
the Via header has already been here then this warning is logged and Squid
will be very reluctant about using further peers in resolving this
request.

Other than cluttering your access.log this message should not cause any
noticeable harm.