Re: [squid-users] Problem Starting Squid

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:15:08 +0100 (CET)

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004, adrian.wells wrote:

> When I cd /usr/local/squid/sbin and then pwd it returns the same path, so
> does this not mean that the path is correct?

No, it still only tells you the current working directory, not the search
path for starting applications. (pwd = Print Working Directory).

Applications in the current directory will only be started if either

a) You start them with ./filename (recommended)

b) You have . in your search path (not recommended due to security
implications)

> It was not a problem before, but I have upgraded Linux SuSE 7.2 to 9.0
> maybe it's down to a change in the version?

All UN*X:es work the same way. No point in changing only because of this.

But it is possible the security of your previous installation had been
relaxed to have . in the default search path.