[squid-users] max file descriptors --- can't raise it. Tried everything

From: Nielsen, Steve <SNielsen@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 14:24:47 -0500

I am having an issue trying to raise the max number of file descriptors that squid can use. I have tried everything reasonable.

I am using redhat 7.3 with up to date patches (RPMs). Kernel version 2.4.18
squid RPM from redhat (2.4.STABLE6) latest rpm.

Here is what I want to do. I want to raise my file descriptor limit from 1024 to 2048. I run a fairly busy proxy server (200 req/sec max. Sometimes bursts to 250 req/sec) and am constantly getting close to the limit.

Here is what I have tried:
==========================
1. Setting the limit using ulimit (ulimit -nHS 1024) then restarting squid. Does not work.

2. I found this link which describes how to change the fd limits on a per process (http://support.zeus.com/print.cgi/faq/zws/v4/entries/os/linuxfd.html). Does not work.

3. I looked into the various include files and found out the max file descriptors was being set to 1024 by the configure script. I saw that it set it to that based on what my current ulimit was.
So I did the following:
        set my ulimit to 2048 for file descriptors
        reran configure
        verified that include/autoconf.h MAX was set to 2048
        rebuilt squid
        re-installed squid
        set my ulimit to 2048 and restarted. It is still at 1024!

I am checking to see what it is set to via the cache manager.

If anyone else with a similar setup to mine has been able to change the max file descriptors in squid. Please let me know what you did. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve