Re: [squid-users] Granular Vary Header

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 9 Mar 2004 14:24:51 +0100 (CET)

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, wee kah wrote:

> Hi Henrik,
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> What kind of modification does it needed?

a) The syntax of the custom header extension needs to be defined.

b) Squid needs to be teached to understand this new syntax when making the
Vary key in httpMakeVaryMark().

> From my understanding, if the backend server issues
> the X-Accelerator-Vary header to the client, through
> squid (as a surogate) and the client, in its
> subsequent request, does not issue a request with the
> same X-Accelerator-Vary header (or Does it?), how
> would squid knows which content to serve?

X-Accelerator-Vary works exacly like Vary except that it is only used
between origin server and the surrogate.

As it is a custom header it can easily be extended with new semantics such
as defining which cookie the variance is based upon, allowing it to
override "Vary: Cookie" with a more detailed match.

You could also add a completely new header for the purpose. I only
proposed using X-Accelerator-Vary because it is a custom header already
there and quite visible in the Vary logics.