RE: [squid-users] Transparent proxy - some pages show up blank

From: Rod Savard <RodS@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 13:50:02 -0800

> Configuring the client to use the proxy is a solution.

I understand what you're saying, but we specifically do not want to
configure the client to use a proxy and for a good reason... and not
because it's difficult to configure everyone's IE to use a proxy (it's
easy with Windows Group Policy).

The problem is with mobile users who plug their laptops into a broadband
connection at a hotel, their house, etc. If their browser is set to use
a proxy for LAN connections, then they won't be able to use IE when not
on our corporate LAN. Transparent proxying seems to provide a perfect
workaround to this problem (besides the recent discovery that a few web
pages show up "blank").

It'd be interesting to figure out if the problem is with Squid or IE.

---
Rod Savard, MCP, CCA - Senior Network Administrator
SCM Consultants, Inc. - www.scm-ae.com
(509) 783-1625  or  (509) 948-1254