Re: [squid-users] Re: SSL certificate for Squid

From: Michael Gale <michael.gale@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 10:03:02 -0700

Hello,

        Here is a README I typed up to help me remember what to do:

Once a client has generated a key file on their desktop PC
they should up load it to the server by http://domain.com.

The key file can be generated by running:

openssl genrsa -out filename.key 1024

The file will be called host.domain.com.key ... then the server admin
will run:

openssl req -new -key host.domain.com.key -out host.domain.com.csr -config
openssl.cnf

This will produce a certificate request, now we must sign the request. First it
is important to remember that the openssl.cnf file is a template. It must be
changed for each person or you can run the script "./sign". (Example ./sign
host.domain.com.key)

openssl.cnf
--snip--
RANDFILE = $ENV::HOME/.rnd

[ req ]
default_bits = 1024
default_keyfile = keyfile.pem
distinguished_name = req_distinguished_name
attributes = req_attributes
prompt = no

[ req_distinguished_name ]
C = CA
ST = Alberta
L = Calgary
O = Domain Corp
OU = Domain MIS ACCESS
CN = host.domain.com
emailAddress = netops@domain.com

[ req_attributes ]
--snip--

You should look into configuring your own cnf file, as mine is missing some
settings. As I do not want them.

Michael.

--
Michael Gale