Re: [squid-users] proxy server ith local addresses (Part 2)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 01:22:43 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 18 Mar 2004, stevepalmer wrote:

> It seems that there is a real NBCS.NET on the web which happens to be
> our internal one as upon pinging email.nbcs.net with the ISPs DNS up
> first on the resolve.conf and then our own results in finding this other
> domain. Changing the order of DNS servers does make it ping correctly,
> but Squid still fails to see it. I've also added the addresses to the
> Hosts file with the same negative result.

Shows the imporance of using registered domain names even internally.

But still, adding the required host names to your /etc/hosts will do the
trick if you can not use "a proper" DNS server for your requirements.

/etc/resolv.conf (or your squid.conf) should only contain name servers
capable of resolving all Internet domain names the proxy should be able to
reach. It is OK to specify your internal DNS server provided this can also
resolve Internet names and you should then not specify another DNS. If
your Internal DNS server can not resolve Internet DNS names then it must
not be used by Squid.

> This message is confidential. You should not copy it or disclose its
> contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information only for the
> intended purpose. Internet communications are not secure and therefore
> Noel-Baker Community School does not accept legal responsibility for the
> contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are only those
> of the author and not those of Noel-Baker Community School. If this
> email has come to you in error please delete it and any attachments.
> Please note that Noel-Baker Community School may intercept incoming and
> outgoing e-mail communications.

Crap. I can not answer to this message as I am not allowed to read it or
share the information to anyone else. It is hereby official, I knowingly
violate the restrictions on the information you gave me. Please inform
your lawyers and ask them to sue me for reading and answering to your
confidential letter sent to me over a public media. Just wondering, do
your lawers also require you to include this type of disclaimers when you
publish papers or other widely distributed information in paper format?