[squid-users] proxy server ith local addresses (Part 2)

From: stevepalmer <stevepalmer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 15:59:31 -0000

Hi, i'm having similar problems to the following thread from the Archives:

>On Fri, 5 Mar 2004, Michael Gale wrote:
>
>> I am using Squid Cache version 2.5.STABLE5 and it is working well. But we have
>
>> some internal web sites that people need to access via www.ourdomain.com which
>> points to a internal IP. Of course with squid we can not access these sites
>> unless we place each site in the "bypass proxy for" field in IE.
>
>You can add these hosts to /etc/hosts on your Squid server to teach Squid
>what the IP address is, if these hosts names are not available in the DNS
>your Squid is using.
>
>Regards
>Henrik

Specifically i have an Exchange box with OWA running on it @ the internal presence of EMAIL. It also has a redirective url of MYEMAIL to make it easier for students to get on. Currently i have the necessary addresses in the ByPass Proxy list which works fine. However the teachers have requested that we make it controllable
in-line with the per room controls of the internet.

I have always_direct lines in for the address, and i have added no_cache lines too. With these it looks for the server from our 2.4 STABLE2 squid box rather than forwarding it on to the ISPs 2.5 STABLE4.

It seems that there is a real NBCS.NET on the web which happens to be our internal one as upon pinging email.nbcs.net with the ISPs DNS up first on the resolve.conf and then our own results in finding this other domain. Changing the order of DNS servers does make it ping correctly, but Squid still fails to see it. I've also added the addresses to the Hosts file with the same negative result.

What on earth could i be missing?! Cheers in advance.

This message is confidential. You should not copy it or disclose its contents to anyone. You may use and apply the information only for the intended purpose. Internet communications are not secure and therefore Noel-Baker Community School does not accept legal responsibility for the contents of this message. Any views or opinions presented are only those of the author and not those of Noel-Baker Community School. If this email has come to you in error please delete it and any attachments. Please note that Noel-Baker Community School may intercept incoming and outgoing e-mail communications.