RE: [squid-users] Squid on NT with WCCP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 22:27:54 +0100 (CET)

On Fri, 19 Mar 2004 steve.bondy@tembec.com wrote:

> Unfortunately the Linux route so far has not been an option - my company is
> one of those that insists "we're a microsoft shop, we don't do Linux", and
> eventually I need to deploy this to 20 or 30 sites that have existing
> Windows NT/2000 servers, so I was really hoping to find it on Windows.

Maybe an appliance is a path which suits you better then? This way you can
focus more on the function and less on the low-level OS involved. Pretty
much the same way as you buy non-MS routers/switches.

There is several companies selling well done Squid appliance boxes. I
would recommend MARA Systems (my company) or Swelltech (another company
tightly involved in Squid development).

> I spent the day yesterday downloading and learning how to use MSYS and MinGW
> and did a test build. Seemed to go okay, but according to Henrik I'm wasting
> my time anyway since I need WCCP support in the IP stack.

You also need a WCCP driver for Windows. Apparently there is people who
have done this (and it should not be a hard task given the correct tools
to write NDIS drivers), but I do not know of any open such drivers.