[squid-users] Squid + WCCP + HTTPS Authentication Dilemma

From: David Stout <d.stout@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2004 09:46:20 -0000

Now before I get flamed, I am on a tight timeline and am also reading
through the archives to try to find a solution, but I would appreciate
any help I can get on this matter.

We have a caching product that uses a Squid cache as it's main proxy
(Stratacache) and on the recommendation of the manufacturer we have
installed a Cisco Router to process the WWW traffic and redirect it to
the cache using WCCP.

This solution worked excellenty and performed really well.

The problem came from the fact we could no longer connect to any
websites requiring a HTTPS connection. No yahoo mail no hotmail would
work. So originally I noticed that our firewall was sending HTTP traffic
to the internet using it's management public IP address, and all HTTPS
traffic was going via the NAT rules in the firewall. This would mean the
web server would seen HTTP and HTTPS from different public IP's and
close the connection. I have since corrected this minor issue so that
the authenticating web servers will see the HTTP and HTTPS traffic from
the same public IP address.

I am unable to find out from the Cisco web site if the router is
forwarding the HTTPS to the cache (I am installing a sniffer today so
I'll get back to you on that).

Now it stikes me as odd that this would happen on every WCCP + Squid
install but there seems no immediate solution (I am trawling the
archives as well though in case I missed it (although search didn't
throw up too much)).

David Stout
Traffic Shapers
EMail : d.stout@trafficshapers.co.uk