[squid-users] User & Group ACLs and MySQL based auth

From: John P Santos <jpsantos@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 02:40:00

Hello all,

I'm pretty new on this list, but I have a problem to solve that maybe you
folks here can be of service in helping me figure it out.

I've setup 3 VPN gateways on Fedora Core 1 Linux boxes, where I configured
Squid on the gateways. FC1 comes with squid 2.5.STABLE3.

I setup a comprehensive acl to block chat and porno sites for them, which
is something I have made work just fine before... so as that I was actually
using an old acl from another server, but the company that I setup the VPN
for asked for something else. They want a user & group based access
control for their internet access!

I'm at a loss as to how to configure this. I found a mysql based squid
authentication module, which I intended to use to authenticate users, and
just use a global ACL, but they want to be able to control this based on
not only users but also groups. As I've said, I'm completely at a loss as
to what is the best option, or even where to start.

Does anyone know of any documentation on this? What is the best way to
configure such an ACL, and authentication scheme? Is it possible that the
users can be placed on the mysql database so that they can be easily
administered?

I know I may be asking for a lot, but it would be nice to be able to
configure these things user/group based, and still be able to add and
delete users through a web based admin of a mysql database.

Thanks in advance.

- John P Santos