Re: [squid-users] Controlling All HTTP access based on time of day with Squid?

From: Matus UHLAR - fantomas <uhlar@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 10:30:52 +0200

On 29.03 21:51, Glenn Joiner wrote:
> I'm wondering if it possible to use Squid to restrict web browsing to
> off-business hours. We're trying to implement and open-source solution, so
> Squid or any other open source product would be great to know about.

as first you must block www accessing by any other way than squid.
the only way that could work is to block all traffic that doesn't go
through squid. however you won't be able to use any other protocol...
at least not easily

> The only current idea I have is to make Squid a non-caching server, and
> restrict my firewall to only allow outgoing web via the Squid, then run a
> crond job to shut down or start the Squid process at the appropriate times.
> Is there a more elegant way? Help.

you can define ACL by time, and deny requests in working hours. you can
have local cache with this setup

Emacs is a complicated operating system without good text editor.