[squid-users] squid proxy problems with DOI's

From: <OKeeffe_Eoin@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 11:53:40 +0100

Hello,

            In the last few days, our proxy server running squid 2.5 (also
tried ver 2.1, no difference) has started to act funny. Initial reports were
that some pages were not being displayed properly. We have spent days trying
to resolve the issue have trawled the NET and the FAQ section here for
possible solutions. We have ruled out ACL's and various other things from
the help tips in FAQ.

            From our investigation, we have concluded that the images that
are not being displayed are Digital Object Identifiers (DOI's) and squid all
of a sudden doesn't seem to be able to handle them? An example of two main
culprits is apple.com and yahoo.com and also accessing the mail button in
yahoo.com. In apple.com all you see if just buttons, no images. In Yahoo the
top section of the page is missing where you have the buttons for
Personalise, Finance, Shop, Mail etc and the Yahoo! Red gif itself.

            We have tried out WinGate proxy server for windows and have had
no problems getting to these sites. The box that we are running it on is a
Sun Ultra 60 with Solaris 8. We made no changes etc to the server when it
just suddenly stopped working?

            If anyone here has any idea's or has seen it happen before some
place and could pass on some advice, it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

            Eoin