Re: [squid-users] Zero sized reply: differences between squid 2.4and2.5

From: Frank Neumann <frank.neumann@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 05 Apr 2004 14:07:38 +0200

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Frank Neumann wrote:
>
> > Neither cache.log nor access.log give useful hints. What I can see is that
> > HTTP conversation actually takes place(always a post request with response
> > 200 followed by one with response 503).
>
> What does access.log say?

Nothing exciting I would say.

1081135781.697 1155 ipofclient TCP_MISS/200 259 POST
http://ipandportofserver/ - DIRECT/62.55.224.203 text/plain
1081135786.207 3413 ipofclient TCP_MISS/503 1295 POST
http://ipandportofserver/ - DIRECT/62.55.224.203 text/html

> > There must be some kind of authorisation of the application against the
> > web server (application) which in my opinion fails due to improper
> > response from the web server.
>
> 503 is "Service Unavailable" and is usually returned by proxies, not
> origin servers..

Sure. I meant squid is generating this response because the upstream server
doesn't answer correctly.

> > I even sniffered around but couldn't find anything that answers the
> > question. The payload of the post is encrypted so there is nothing to
> > see. My hope was that you could tell me where squid 2.5.5 is more strict
> > than 2.4.7 so that the 503 response will be generated.
>
> What does the second POST look like in both cases?

As data isn't transferred continously I'll have to wait for the next transfer
and check that out again, then switch to squid 2.5.5 and see what happens when
the requests fail. I'll return here when I've got the information.

Thanks,
Frank