Re: [squid-users] ftp file sizes, squid, large file sizes, and listings--minor problem

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 18:36:28 +0200 (CEST)

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004, Peter Smith wrote:

> So are you suggesting that perhaps the ncftp I am using in the example
> is compiled on a 64 bit platform?

If your ncftp is capable of dealing with files (not just listing them)
>2GB then it is compiled with support for 64 bit file I/O. If not the
kernel will plain refuse the application to even attempt to write to
larger files.

It is possible to have a mix where 32-bit applications is compiled for
64-bit file I/O.

The fact that Squid formats the filesize wrongly in FTP listings is just a
cosmetic issue and on its own does not have any bad effects (other than
user confusion), but Squid is also limited by a 2GB file size limitation
so fixing the FTP listing output won't fix the whole problem.