Re: [squid-users] Can I use Squid for a web server?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 23:51:47 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 6 Apr 2004, Xavier Baez wrote:

> I also read that I must change Apache to listen on port 81 (instead of
> port 80) in order to enable httpd-accelerator

I generally advice against this.

The rule is that only one server can listen on the same ip:port. If you
want to run both Squid and Apache on the same box then either the IP or
port they listen on must be different and I recommend using different
IPs, for example the official IP for Squid, 127.0.0.1 for Apache.

> "Make sure your http_access rules is correct, only allowing access to your
> web servers."
>
> Could anybody please tell me a correct configuration to make Squid serve
> as a httpd-accelerator for my ip xx.xxx.xx.xx and don't work as an open
> proxy for the dangerous internet?

One example:

acl myserver dstdomain your.accelerated.domain
acl http protocol http
acl port80 port 80

http_access allow myserver http port80
http_access deny all

> Will Squid make users downloading files have a better service? THe
> problem I'm having with apache right now is that downloads are cutted in
> the middle of the transfer ;(

This should not happen with Apache either.. most likely some other problem
causing this.