Re: [squid-users] Recommended Hardware for my platform

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 01:08:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Jason Williams wrote:

> >How many page views per second do you expect your users to do?
>
> This is something that I would need to figure out in order to give a answer.
> The trick is, figuring out how to gather this information. :)

Estimate how many users you have browsing at the same times, and how how
often thew view a new page, then multiply.

> >And how many Mbps of HTTP traffic is expected? (only counting HTTP/FTP
> >traffic proxied via Squid, not other traffic such as direct FTP, email,
> >IRC, filesharing, whatever...)
>
> Well, being as that we have a T-1 to our office, im guessing that at any
> given time, peak time that is, maybe, "maybe" 500-600Mbps, but that is
> really taking a guess right now. I'll have to see if I can generate some
> statistics from my firewall.

Hmm.. aren't you some magnitudes off in the scale there? Last time I
looked a T1 is 1.5Mbit/s so I don't see how you can fit 500-600Mbps in
there.. assuming you meant 500-600Kbit/s which is not a lot by any means.

Even assuming your T1 is fully occupied with 1.5Mbps web traffic at it's
maximum you barely can find a hardware on the market which can not handle
that kind of load for Squid. Only if you go to the 5 years scrapyard
hunting for your server hardware is some thought on performance required,
and even then mainly memory requirement.. (old machines tend to have very
little memory.., you want at least 256 MB today on a cache server) But as
your main interest is filtering and not caching the system requirements is
less memory demanding so even that should not be a problem.