Re: [squid-users] --> Squid, SquidGuard and selective filtering

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 23:19:06 +0200 (CEST)

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, Schelstraete Bart wrote:

> For people who're not used to work with Squid, the ACL's of Squid can be
> very tricky.

To this I agree. And I would very much welcome if someone was interested
in developing a better ACL syntax for Squid which is easier to configure.
Either as a preprocessor (which is easy to do with Squid-3) or built-in.
If interested please contact squid-dev@squid-cache.org.

As I understand the current syntax very well and it is sufficiently simple
to not be a support burden in my commercial Squid support agreements.
Because of this I do not have any pressing needs to implement another
syntax other than maybe to try to reduce the number of mailing list
answers sending people to the Squid FAQ.. Sorry for being selfish guys,
but I am.

> That's such a external programs can help for them.

Maybe.

> But I don't think most users of those external programs use this for the
> performance, but just because it's sometimes easier to use.
> At least, that's what I think.

Not my experience. Most people I have got in touch with using SquidGuard
do so thinking it is faster than Squid ACLs. But there quite likely is
users of both kinds.