Re: [squid-users] --> Squid, SquidGuard and selective filtering

From: Schelstraete Bart <bart@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 10 Apr 2004 11:01:27 +0200

Henrik,

For people who're not used to work with Squid, the ACL's of Squid can be
very tricky. That's such a external programs can help for them.
Regarding performance: Like you said: if you 're using SMP system an
external program can 'improve' the performance if you have a lot of
acl's. Not on UP systems, I agree.

But I don't think most users of those external programs use this for the
performance, but just because it's sometimes easier to use.
At least, that's what I think.
(I'm also using a lot of ACL's, but I'm using -of course - the squid acl's)

    Bart
Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, Schelstraete Bart wrote:
>

>>If you have A LOT of ACL's, and you're not really familiar with Squid I
>>think you better to use an external program for this.
>>

>Why?
>
>If you have SMP and use a lot of regex acls then yes, at least until Squid
>can scale on SMP. But for UP I cannot agree. But very large regex
>performance sucks using any approach as a list of regex expresions can not
>be optimized much..
>
>Regards
>Henrik

 You can find me on Google or Yahoo...
 search for "Schelstraete Bart" or "Bart Schelstraete"
 Schelstraete Bart
 http://www.hansbeke.com
 email: bart at schelstraete.org