[squid-users] Re: Windows Authentication

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:47:54 -0400

Sevcik Berndt wrote:

> We want to use Squid as our proxy server with mainly Windows clients. The
> problem is that our clients are not member of a domain. I have read a lot
> about NTLM as a possibility but when I correctly understand it it requires
> each client be a member of the domain (for example Samba).

Correct. Squid would need a domain to verify the NTLM hash against.

> Is there a way that the windows login credentials can be automatically
> transmitted to the proxy for authentication?

All the proxy does is send an "Authorization Required" message to the
browser telling it what authentication methods (basic, digest, and/or NTLM)
are supported. How the browser gets the authentication credentials to send
back is entirely up to the browser - the proxy has no control over this.

Adam