Re: [squid-users] FATAL: Received Segment Violation...dying.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:31:23 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004, Raymond A. Meijer wrote:

> On Fri 23 April 2004 14:42, unixware wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> > unfortunately as i was reading your mail my squid as
> > died with same error :( . i was also running
> > Squid-2.5-StABLE5
>
> Ouch..
>
> > i downgrade to old tar source on system which was
> > squid-2.5-Stable2 it is running ok after that .
>
> Hmmm...interesting...

What I know for sure is that there has been very many segmentation fault
errors fixed since 2.5.STABLE2.

See http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/bugs/ for a list of known
bugs fixed after the 2.5.STABLE2 release. I would suspect you will find
three or four important ones making it questionable if downgrading to
2.5.STABLE2 is a viable solution.

I saw earlier in this thread that -O6 was used. Using any -O level above
-O2 is generally not advisable as there very often lurks compiler bugs at
those higher levels, and it is in addition not expected higher -O levels
will give any better performance of Squid. Over the years there has been
quite many reports about segmentation faults from people using too
aggressive compiler optimizations, and it has most often been fixed by
using a normal optimization level.