Re: [squid-users] Authentication on both reverse proxy and backend server

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 21:39:57 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 mathieu.millet@ratp.fr wrote:

> I would like to setup a reverse proxy that authenticates my users from the
> Internet. The backend server requires also its own authentication.
>
> Of course, both login/password are differents.

Then only one of them can use HTTP authentication as there is only room
for one login in HTTP. The other must use other means of authenticaiton
such as cookie based login form etc..

As long as only one of the two is using HTTP authentication then there is
no problem. Usually it is simplest to have the reverse proxy use HTTP
authentication and the backend web server use cookie authentication but it
is also possible (but requires quite a bit of work) to do it the other way
around.