Re: [squid-users] ACL based on User Groups

From: Valdir Henrique Dias Leite <valdirh@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 24 Apr 2004 19:51:32 -0300

Thank you again Henrik, but i have some concerns about this approach
(network traffic and performance)

Our scenario has 3 groups and the script make at least 3 calls to winbind.
So, every HTTP GET made by user, will be made 9 winbind calls for check
either user has or not access to perform that GET.

For a page like aol.com, with dozens of images, the general overhead caused
by this approach is a great concern to us.

Well, I will configure it and test some time to see if it is true.

In time, I was wondering to build an ad-hoc solution using either Berkely-DB
or Embedded MySQL Server (libmysqld) where one can model acls like a
relacional model and check all acls against all groups the current user are
in. ( Advantages: Only one call to winbind, retrieving all groups and
caching them for the entire session; and the performance of data access
layer - BDB or libmysqld - ) Of course, it will be released to the
community.

I would be glad to hear some words about that approach ...

Thanks again,

Valdir Leite
Sao Paulo
Brasil