[squid-users] Squid Accelerator

From: Sampei <sampei02@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2004 10:58:05 +0200

I Found a solution about "no route to host" messagge which appers when
browser goes to Windows Update site using only Squid Accelerator and no
proxy mode.

analyzing system.
I type in the url of my browser directly Windows Update site and not IP
addresses.
I insert into the "hosts" file, located in system directory, all server
names which W.U. wants to meet. So I

specified in this file more Ip address (correspondent to the virtual ip
address in squid accelerator) to point to the several servers necessary for
Windows Update process.
I sniffed packets and I saw an interesting thing.

Browser's client sends a "https" request to the Squid Accelerator but
Accelerator listen only to 80 port and

not 443 (https). I saw Squid acting as Proxy server listen to a particular
port but it's able to accept

https requests which are indicated inside url; so it can answer browser.
Instead Accelerator doesn't know how handling https requests because there
is the only 80 port listened.

It's possible to have the same Squid Accelerator listen on more ports or to
be able to accepr https requests ?

regards

Riccardo