[squid-users] need some help with tunneled parent cache

From: Jerry Adlersfluegel <jerrya@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 13:18:23 -0500

I've done as much searching and trying as I can for the past few days,
so I'm coming here for help.

I have a squid cache set up on host A, and am trying to set up host B
to use A as it's parent, but it has to be through a forwarded port via
ssh (using something like: ssh -L 4128:hostA:3128 hostA on host B).
When I add the lines below to my conf file (taken from the faq), the
browser simply returns the error that follows that code.

> cache_peer localhost parent 4128 0 no-query default
> acl all src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
> never_direct allow all

error message:

> The requested URL could not be retrieved
>
> While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.squid-cache.org/
>
> The following error was encountered:
> Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.squid-cache.org
>
> The dnsserver returned:
> Name Error: The domain name does not exist.
>
> This means that:
> The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
> Check if the address is correct.
>

> Your cache administrator is root.
>
> Generated Tue, 27 Apr 2004 18:17:37 GMT by hostB (Squid/2.4.STABLE6)

The cache on host B works fine without the never_direct, but then it
doesn't ever talk to the parent, so DNS on B works fine. I am also able
to use the cache on host A directly via a ssh tunnel.

Any ideas?

(The intent here is to have a local cache that shouldn't talk to the
web directly but can use ssh to another host who can.)

Thank you.

--
Jerry Adlersfluegel
www.jerrya.net - Hotwheels, Mustangs and more.