Re: [squid-users] Limiting the bandwidth of certain fyles

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 23:23:45 +0200 (CEST)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004, Xavier Baez wrote:

> Please take a moment to read the lines I've added/changed to my
> squid.conf file. I run squid on port 80 (http accelelator with proxy)
> and apache at port 81

Ok. Please note that the delay pools feature available in Squid is
designed for proxies and limiting the Internet bandwidth used, not for
shaping clients. Because of this it only applies on cache misses.

> acl socceraccess url_regex -i 192.168

This looks very odd for being an url_regex.. what is it you want this acl
to match?

> acl badinternet url_regex -i ftp \.exe \.zip \.rar \.r01 \.r02 \.r03
> \.r04 \.r05
> acl day time 09:00-23:59
>
> #We have two different delay_pools
> delay_pools 2
>
> #First delay pool
> #We don't want to delay our local traffic.
> #There are three pool classes; here we will deal only with the second.
> #First delay class (1) of second type (2).
> delay_class 1 2
>
> #-1/-1 mean that there are no limits.
> delay_parameters 1 -1/-1 -1/-1

This pool is equivalent to not assigning a pool to the request, but is
wasting a lot of memory only to keep track of that the clients are not
limited. Why have you defined this pool?

> #socceraccess: 192.168 we have set before
> delay_access 1 allow socceraccess

As per the url_regex comment above, I do not think this does what you
want..

> #Second delay pool.
> #we want to delay downloading files mentioned in badinternet.
> #Second delay class (2) of second type (2).
> delay_class 2 1
>
> #The numbers here are values in bytes;
> #we must remember that Squid doesn't consider start/stop bits
> #5000/150000 are values for the whole network
> #5000/120000 are values for the single IP
> #after downloaded files exceed about 150000 bytes,
> #(or even twice or three times as much)
> #they will continue to download at about 5000 bytes/s
>
> delay_parameters 2 1250/1250 1250/1250

There is no use of defining a higher class pool if the per-user limit is
identical to the global limit. You would get the same effect using a class
1 pool here as you have defined the global limit to 1250 and each single
user is allowed to use up to 1250...

> #We have set day to 09:00-23:59 before.
> delay_access 2 allow day
> delay_access 2 deny !day
> delay_access 2 allow badintern

The last lime will never be reached as the first two lines matches all
requests.

What is your goal with these lines?