Re: [squid-users] Limiting the bandwidth of certain fyles

From: Xavier Baez <tech@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 17:33:07 -0500

Dear Henrik

Thanks for the info. I've subscribed to the dev mailing list.

| Won't do what you are looking for as netfilter only knows packets, not
HTTP or URLs.

But in theory it could be possible to combine the string match, connmark
and tc to shape certain types of http requests using netfilter/iptables +
tc. |

So if use Netfilter the kernel with limit ALL the bandwidth (http requests, ftp, downloads....) to my end users? I really wouldn't like to do that (I only want to limit .zip and .exe files

Has anybody experienced problem when users are downloading files (ex: .zip files, specially with IE and WinXP) and the download is being cut in any point of the transfer? Squid didn't helped me in that problem neither.
When I post a popular programs, it's virutally impossible for my end users (specially the ones using a 56 modem) to download files, since DAP doesn't catches the URL. Therefore they download files with Internet Explorer's download "manager" and then I receive a lot of complians.

Regards

S. A. Tech Department