[squid-users] Re: multiple requests to authenticate

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 17:07:36 -0400

Raymond Norton wrote:

> We run squid with ncsa_auth on a number of IPCop boxes with dansguardian
> installed. Normally, when a user logs in they do not need to authenticate
> again unless they open another browser window. I am getting complaints
> from one school that they are being asked to reauthenticate multiple times
> per session now.

This is more commonly seen with NTLM, not basic. Check the stats in Cache
Manager - are your auth helpers overloaded?

I assume you already checked the basics (using correct password, caps lock
is off, login prompt is for proxy - not a remote web site, etc).

What browser & version? Some versions of IE are broken in this regard. See
the Squid Authentication FAQ for more info on that.

> As long as I'm at it I would like to modify my config (if possible), so
> users only need to login once per session, no matter how many windows they
> have open.

How and when the user is prompted for login credentials is a browser issue,
not a Squid issue. You would have to talk to your browser vendor about it.

Adam