RE: [squid-users] Numeric IP, in-addr issues

From: Prash <prashk@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 18:36:59 +0100

don't know about the docs mate but if a website does not have a dns entry
then you won't be able to "whois" and find out who runs that website or even
the contact address. For eg : www.yahoo.com. Anyone could be running all
sorts of cr*p .. say child porn etc etc and you can't verify the contact
details.

A DNS entry can alteast identify the registrar through which the
registration was made. Also not everyone implements reverse DNS lookups.

There might be other reasons .. maybe others can input. Basically using IP
on the address bar is not a very good thing.

If you do a whois on yahoo then you get (try it on www.whois.net)

Registrant:
        Yahoo! Inc.
        (DOM-272993)
        701 First Avenue
        Sunnyvale
        CA
        94089
        US

    Domain Name: yahoo.com

        Registrar Name: Alldomains.com
        Registrar Whois: whois.alldomains.com
        Registrar Homepage: http://www.alldomains.com

    Administrative Contact:
        Domain Administrator
        (NIC-1382062)
        Yahoo! Inc.
        701 First Avenue
        Sunnyvale
        CA
        94089
        US
        domainadmin@yahoo-inc.com
        +1.4083493300
        Fax- +1.4083493301
    Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
        Domain Administrator
        (NIC-1372925)
        Yahoo! Inc.
        701 First Avenue
        Sunnyvale
        CA
        94089
        US
        domainadmin@yahoo-inc.com
        +1.4083493300
        Fax- +1.4083493301

    Created on..............: 1995-Jan-18.
    Expires on..............: 2012-Jan-19.
    Record last updated on..: 2004-Mar-04 15:41:24.

    Domain servers in listed order: