[squid-users] Numeric IP, in-addr issues

From: <ocl@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 19:47:50 +0300

Hi,

Using squidGuard, we deny access to sites/links that are
numeric IP links. e.g. http://123.123.123.123/something.html

Using gut-feeling, I can justify this for myself, but I am
not an authority on the subject.

 From time to time we get various complaints from our corp users,
when they click a link and find out that they can not access
to it.

They are ordinary users. They find it hard to understand why
we disallow such accesses.

Similarly, when I write to webmasters of the site concerned,
it does not automatically follow that the guy running the site
understands that it is not a good idea to use numeric IP links.

So, my question is:

Could someone point me to a link which explains why it is a good
thing to:

   -- [for webmasters] not use numeric IP's in websites
   -- [for users] disallow access to numeric IP links

in layman's terms ;-)

Cheers,
Jim