Re: [squid-users] Numeric IP, in-addr issues

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 23:02:52 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 7 May 2004, ocl@arayan.com wrote:

> Using squidGuard, we deny access to sites/links that are
> numeric IP links. e.g. http://123.123.123.123/something.html
>
> Using gut-feeling, I can justify this for myself, but I am
> not an authority on the subject.

There is many valid uses of IP address URLs..

for example today I noticed one of the major anti-virus vendors use
numeric IPs in the links to their downloads service.

> Could someone point me to a link which explains why it is a good
> thing to:
>
> -- [for webmasters] not use numeric IP's in websites

Common sense says that if one publishes information it is wise to indicate
who is publishing the information... and it is also good to distinguish
the site from the cases below..

> -- [for users] disallow access to numeric IP links

a) Such accesses is mostly done by viruses/worms causing great harm to the
Internet. By blocking such requests these viruses/worms is quite
effectively contained.

b) Most sites publishing content by IP address are of questionable nature
which most users do not want to be associated with. For example sites
hijacked for porn or wares infested with dialers and similar questionable
activities.