Re: [squid-users] Squid Accelerator + SSL

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 7 May 2004 22:53:06 +0200 (CEST)

No. The client must make a https:// request which is directed to the Squid
as a https:// server, not as a proxy.

> SSL certificate should be installed on MS W.U. server but can I avoid to
> install certificate on my squid accelerator?

You can't. It needs a certificate, and that certificate must be accepted
as valid by the client.

> I think Squid accelerator ( + ssl update) can handle https request forwarding
> to original server, but unlikely it's not true.

It can.

> I'm interesting to install
> SSL update but I'm not sure that this update can resolve my https requests
> caching problem.

It is not designed for caching of https://. It is designed for reverse
proxying and acceleration of https://.

What you need to make is a accelerator for the windows update service.

> If I was interested to accelerate another server (no MS W.U) where can I
> take certificate to put in squid acc. and how it's generated ?!

You need to make your own certificate, and make the clients trust this.

As it is not your site no CA will issue a certificate for you and your
only option is to build your own CA.