RE: [squid-users] RE: Numeric IP, in-addr issues

From: Tim Bernhardson <TBERNHAR@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 12:38:20 -0700

I have seen primarly 2 types of sites that use IP Addresses instead of
Host Names.

1) Companies that think that because their server doesn't have a DNS
Name on the Internet that it will make it harder for the Bad Guys to
find them....

2) Companies/People serving Porn/Spam/etc

I don't particularly want my users visiting either one (the first one
because if they are clueless enough that they think not having a DNS
Name makes it more difficult for them to get hacked, they probably are
probably not running very good security on their servers and are
probably hacked without knowing it).

Tim Bernhardson
Senior Technical Engineer
Certified Citrix Metaframe Administrator
Certified CyberGuard Administrator
Certified AIX 4.3 System Administrator
Sun-Maid Growers of California
7273 Murray Drive, Ste 18
Stockton, CA 95210

tbernhar at sunmaid dot com

>>> "Prash" <prashk@staff.btltd.net> 5/7/2004 12:25:10 PM >>>
Adam,

Surely I can't do a whois lookup (altho i haven't tried) if my service
provider gives me just an IP but no dns entry?

I'm thinking if the trend started (blocking IPs), there must've been a
good
reason. It is blocked even in my org.

Cheers,
Prash