[squid-users] RE: RE: Numeric IP, in-addr issues

From: Adam Aube <aaube01@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 07 May 2004 15:52:08 -0400

Tim Bernhardson wrote:

> I have seen primarly 2 types of sites that use IP Addresses instead of
> Host Names.
>
> 1) Companies that think that because their server doesn't have a DNS
> Name on the Internet that it will make it harder for the Bad Guys to
> find them....

Just because a site has a DNS name doesn't make its owners any more clueful.
Take a look at rfc-ignorant.org's block lists.

> 2) Companies/People serving Porn/Spam/etc
>
> I don't particularly want my users visiting either one (the first one
> because if they are clueless enough that they think not having a DNS
> Name makes it more difficult for them to get hacked, they probably are
> probably not running very good security on their servers and are
> probably hacked without knowing it).

There are pleanty of spam/porn sites that use DNS names, too.

Again, while I agree it's a bad idea to not have DNS for a web site, I see
nothing wrong with it, and I don't think it's justifiable to arbitrarily
block sites that are accessed by IP address.

Adam