[squid-users] maximum_object_size > 2GB prevents caching?

From: Christoph Haas <email@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 14:04:34 +0200

Hi, folks...

this morning we found out that our cache hit ratio is zero. We started to
investigate and according to the store.log all objects were tagged "RELEASE".
There were absolutely no files cached in the cache_dir.

We reduced the squid.conf to track down the problem. It appears that when
specifying a maximum_object_size larger than 2 GB the whole caching feature
becomes disabled. However I haven't seen anything useful in the cache.log
that would give me a hint.

I wanted to cache ISO disk images if possible and accidentally set it to 8 GB
instead of 800 MB. We are using the ext3 file system here. However I would
assume that some internal pointer can't handle objects large than 2 GB.

Is this a known feature? Is the internal variable for handling the size
just 32 bit? Then wouldn't it make sense to give an error message when the
maximum_object_size is set too large? This one gave me a headache. :)

Regards
 Christoph

--
~