Re: [squid-users] maximum_object_size > 2GB prevents caching?

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 10:34:39 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Christoph Haas wrote:

> We reduced the squid.conf to track down the problem. It appears that when
> specifying a maximum_object_size larger than 2 GB the whole caching feature
> becomes disabled. However I haven't seen anything useful in the cache.log
> that would give me a hint.
>
> I wanted to cache ISO disk images if possible and accidentally set it to 8 GB
> instead of 800 MB. We are using the ext3 file system here. However I would
> assume that some internal pointer can't handle objects large than 2 GB.

I would hope the limit is more close to 4 GB in this case.

There was a bug in earlier Squid version where it was not detected if a
value larger than what fits in a size_t is specified for this directive
and many other directives. This was corrected in Squid-2.5.STABLE5 to
reject such configurations:

<url:http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v2/2.5/bugs/#squid-2.5.STABLE4-size_overflow>

It is possible there still is issues in the range 2 GB to close to 4 GB. I
hope not but I have not actively tested.