[squid-users] Re: Samba 2.2.9 + Squid 2.5STABLE1 winbind

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2004 14:47:30 +0200 (CEST)

On Fri, 14 May 2004, Tiago Filipe Dias wrote:

> I'm having a problem integrating Samba 2.2.9 with Squid, for
> authentication purposes using winbind.

Samba 3.X + Squid-2.5.STABLE5 is generally recommended if you are looking
into NTLM(SSP) authentication. Squid versions prior to 2.5.STABLE5 has
many bugs and is quite unreliable in it's NTLM(SSP) support, and Samba-2.X
lacks a fully supported method for NTLM(SSP) integration forcing Squid to
use internal interfaces.

When using Samba-3.X you must use the ntlm_auth helper shipped with Samba,
not the earlier helpers shipped with Squid.

The earlier winbind helpers shipped with Squid is for Samba-2.2.X only and
will not work with Samba-3.x, and in addition is not of the best quality.
The Samba-3.x ntlm_auth NTLMSSP implementation is far more complete and is
highly recommended. There is no plans on updating the helpers shipped with
Squid to work with Samba-3.X as Samba-3.X includes a fully functional and
well maintained helper suitable to be used by Squid and other projects
needing authentication integration with Samba of far better quality than
the older helpers shipped with Squid.

Regards
Henrik Nordström
Squid HTTP Proxy project